Monday, September 9, 2013

Bess top pattern release!

So, today, I'm breaking my blog lazy streak....Two, count 'em, TWO posts today.

Rachael over at imaginegnats is launching her Bess top pattern today.  It comes in a shirt, a tunic, and a dress version.

I was lucky enough to pattern test for her.

First, I LOVE Rachael.  She is an awesome lady, and I was super lucky to meet her in person when I was feeling all shy and awkward at Sewing Summit last year.

Second, I've been wanting to garment sew for a while.  I've tried my hand at a few skirts (loved the Cerisy Rachael posted and sewed a couple of Amy Butler skirts).  I've wanted to use some Jay McCarroll fabric I've had hoarded saved for a top.  I couldn't find a quilting cotton pattern I liked that was up to my garment sewing level.  Enter the Bess top.

Rachael's directions are super easy to follow.  Plus, you can use jersey knit as like a bias tape.  Lots of great pieces of technique and ideas that I've filed for future garment sewing.  Plus, the top is super comfy.  (And it coordinated with my colored hair.)  I'm just waiting for it to be not disgustingly hot to wear it on the regular.  (Right now I'm living in tank tops, the less strappage, the better.)  I can see more versions in my near future.  (Selfish sewing week, perhaps?)

Anyway, if you want to sew with quilting fabric (and who doesn't?!), try Rachael's pattern!

I'm loving my version:

IMG_1659

Yes, I was told I look like a hippy.  (And, my mom hates my hair...*cough*not changing it back*cough*)

3 comments:

Katy Cameron said...

I think your mum's meant to hate it when you do things like that to your hair, it's in the rules or something ;o) Looks great though!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Cute top and hair!

rachael {imagine gnats} said...

i love it! and the hair too :) XO